When does Rehabbing Require a Building Permit?

When does Rehabbing Require a Building Permit?

When you peform or authorize anyone to do the following a Building Permit is required.

"Construct,enlarge,alter,repair,move,demolish,or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system."

The following however are exempt from a Building Permit.
1.Detached Storage sheds one story in height where the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
2.Fencing less than 6 feet high.
3.Retaining walls 4 feet or less in height, (measured from the bottom of the foundation).
4.Sidewalks and driveways.
5.Painting, flooring, cabinets and countertops and similar finish work.
6.Swings and playground equipment.

(See the International Residential Code v.2006 p.3; for full details).

Remember: The Local Authority having Jurisdiction (aka: Building Official) Has the final say and to render interpretations of the Code.


If you would like the chance to work with me or one of my fellow real estate investor coaches and our advanced training programs, give us a call anytime to see if Dean's Real Estate Success Academy and our customized curriculum is a fit for you. Call us at 1-877-219-1474 ext. 125

Syndicate content