Things To Watch Out For With Homes You Own #2

Things To Watch Out For With Homes You Own #2

For most people, a home is one of the most valuable assets they'll ever own. Unfortunately, there are some major perils that can befall a house and put a serious dent in the value of that asset. Many of these perils are much more insidious than a fire or natural disaster. Read on to learn about some of the most expensive damage that can occur in your home, how much it costs and how to avoid it.
Mold
Unlike major water damage, such as that caused by flooding, minor or hidden water damage in your home, perhaps from a defective water pipe, hot water heater or window seal, can cause just as much damage -- and you may not notice it right away. Similarly, if your home suffered through a flood in the past and did not adequately dry out, mold can also thrive. (If you live in a flood-prone area, flood insurance is a must.)
A 2005 study by the National Resources Defense Council showed that New Orleans homes that had been flooded or were even near areas of flooding showed extremely high levels of mold spores that could pose health threats to residents, even in the homes that had been repaired and treated for mold. And the more humid the area in which you live, the harder it will be for you to get rid of mold and keep it from coming back. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, if the mold growth in your home is larger than 10 square feet or was caused by sewage or other contaminated water, it's time to call in a professional. Although home insurance may cover some of the costs depending on your policy, the cost of mold remediation is about $3,000 per wall, according to Environmental Solutions Group, an environmental management company that inspects homes for mold -- and that doesn't include the cost of replacing any mold-infected materials such as drywall, carpet or ceiling tiles.
How to prevent it: Mold can't grow without moisture, so it's important that you check for and fix any leaks in your home immediately, use fans in kitchens and bathrooms to vent moisture outside and clean up any mold growth immediately to prevent it from spreading.

__________________


Syndicate content